BACKGROUND TO CE MARKING
In 1989 the Construction Products Directive (CPD) was introduced to create a common framework for the regulations on buildings and construction works. It was one of the early directives from the EU designed to create a single market for goods and services.
- In 2011 the CPD was replaced by the Construction Products Regulation (CPR)
CPR came into force fully on 1st July 2013
From this date, it became mandatory for manufacturers to provide a Declaration of Performance (DoP) for construction products which fall under the scope of the CPR – and for those products to carry the CE mark to demonstrate conformity with the declaration.
CE MARKING INFORMATION
- CE Marking demonstrates that a product is consistent with its Declaration of Performance (DoP).
- For each product where there is a DoP the CE marking must be affixed to the product label, packaging or accompanying documents.
- Note – for fencing, lintels and flooring beams it is not warranted to affix the mark directly to the product, so packaging and documents satisfy the requirement.
OBLIGATIONS OF DISTRIBUTORS OF CE MARKED PRODUCTS
- Ensure the product bears the CE marking where required.
- Ensure it is accompanied by the relevant documentation – link to website for DoP is acceptable.
- Information must be kept for a period of 10 years. (Supreme’s Customer Technical Services will provide data on request).
- Do not place the product on the market if you believe it is not in compliance.
- If the merchant places the product on the market under their own name or modifies a product which may affect the DoP then they accept the legal obligations of the manufacturer and they must draw up their own DoP and affix CE marking.
WHAT HAS SUPREME DONE TO HELP DISTRIBUTORS TO MEET THEIR OBLIGATIONS?
This all sounds like a lot of hard work – but fear not! Supreme have taken all of the stress away from this process to make things easier for distributors of our products:
- We have placed CE marking on our product labels (dependent on packaging methods at the factory) and accompanying delivery tickets.
- There are links to our easy reference website printed on labels and delivery tickets www.supreme-ce.co.uk – just access the information and print what you need